Maine VotesWho can register and vote in Maine?

  • United States citizen;
  • Live in a town or city in Maine; and
  • 17 years old and will be 18 years old by Election Day.

How do I register to vote?

Fill out a voter registration card at the Sweden Town Office, through any Motor Vehicle branch office, or in most state & federal social service agencies.

Completed voter registration cards may be hand delivered or mailed to the Sweden Town Office or sent to the Secretary of State’s Office in Augusta.

  • Bring proof of Sweden residency (such as a utility bill)
  • Bring proof of identity (such as a driver’s license)
  • Changing declaration of party must be done 15 days before a primary election
  • Voting is held at the Sweden Town Office
  • Absentee ballots may be obtained from the Town Clerk

Is there a deadline for registering?

There is no cut-off date for registering to vote in person at the Sweden Town Office. If you want to register to vote by mail or through a voter registration drive, the cut-off date is the close of business on the 21st day before the election.

Maine has one of the most accessible voting processes in the country. If you feel you have been denied the opportunity to vote, please discuss the situation with the town clerk or election warden. If you cannot resolve the issue, contact the Elections Division at 207-624-7650.

What are the voting districts for Sweden?

Sweden has just one voting district. All voters are eligible to vote for candidates in:

  • U.S. Congressional District 2
  • Maine Senate District 18
  • Maine House of Representative District 71

Current elected officials at the county, state, and federal levels

Do I need to go to the polls on Election Day to vote?

No. Any registered voter may cast an absentee ballot instead of voting in person at the voting place. You do not need to have a specific reason or be unable to vote at the voting place on Election Day to use an absentee ballot. Contact the town clerk for an absentee ballot application.

Voter Rights

The U.S. Constitution gives all citizens the right to vote.

I can register to vote in Maine if:

  • I am a United States citizen;
  • I live in a town or city in Maine; and
  • I am 17 years old and will be 18 years old by Election Day.  21-A MRSA §111.

If I am registered to vote in Maine, I can vote.  I do not need to show ID to get a ballot.  21-A MRSA §§111 and 671.

I may vote by absentee ballot instead of voting in person at the voting place.  I do not need a reason to vote by absentee ballot.  21-A MRSA §§751 and 753-A.

If I am not registered to vote, I can register on Election Day and vote.  (I must register in person and must show ID and proof of where I live.)  21-A MRSA §121.

I cannot be turned away from my voting place.  I must be allowed to vote a challenged ballot.  (If I don’t have ID or proof of where I live, I will cast a challenged ballot.  I may be asked to show ID after the election.) 21-A MRSA §§121161 and 673.

If I am in line at the voting place at 8:00 p.m. on Election Day, I still may register and vote.  21-A MRSA §§127 and 626.

I may see a sample ballot and get help on how to mark my ballot before I vote.  I also may ask for help to read or mark my ballot.  21-A MRSA §§651 and 672.

If I make a mistake, I can get a new ballot.  21-A MRSA §693.

I have the right to use Maine’s Accessible Voting System (AVS) at my voting place.  21-A MRSA §629(1)(A-1).

I may not be harassed when voting or be pressured about how to vote.  21-A MRSA §§672 and 682.

If I am under guardianship, I may vote.  Doe vs. Rowe, 156 F. Supp. 2d 35 (D. Me. 2001).

If I have any problems, or if I am not allowed to vote, I should call The Elections Division – 1-888-868-3763, or The Disability Rights Center – 1-800-452-1948 V/TTY.

Who are the elected officials for Sweden?

United States Senate

  • Susan Collins
    461 Dirksen Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    (202) 224-2523
  • Angus King
    133 Hart Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    (202) 224-5344

United States House of Representatives

  • Jared Golden
    District 2
    1223 Longworth HOB
  • Washington, DC 20515
  • (207)241-6767


Maine Senate

Maine House of Representatives

County Judge of Probate

  • Jarrod S. Crockett, Esq.

County Register of Probate

  • Jennifer McPhee Dilworth
    17 Mallard Way
    Norway, ME 04268

County Treasurer

  • Beth Calhoun
  • 207-743-6359

County Register of Deeds Eastern/Western District

  • Cherri Crockett

County Sheriff

  • Chief Christopher Wainwright
    26 Western Avenue
  • South Paris, ME 04281
  • 207-743-9554

County District Attorney

  • Andrew S. Robinson
    113 Belcher Road
    Farmington, ME 04938

County Commissioner

  • Steven M. Merrill
    District 1
    42 Thurston Road
    Norway, ME 04268